Something different this month; a lighthearted quiz about the history of naturism. No prizes, just bragging rights and people calling you a “smart arse” behind your back.
- Spielplatz is one of the oldest clubs in UK, what is the literal translation from the German? (a) Sacred Ground; (b) Playground; (c) Sunbathing Ground
- British Naturism (originally called Central Council for British Naturism (CCBN)) was formed in 1964 when British Sun Bathing Association merged with which other organisation? (a) Federation of British Sun Club; (b) Association of British Naturist Clubs; (c) National Sun and Air Association
- In what year did the magazine Health & Efficiency first appear? (a) 1890 (b) 1920 (c) 1900
- I was born in 1856, in Ireland. A supporter of the Labour Party; I wrote the story that became My Fair Lady. And wrote in support of Sun Bathing Review. Who am I? (a) George Bernard Shaw; (b) Dorothy L Sayers; (c) Leslie Charteris
- In the summer of 1930 there were riots against nude male and female sunbathers. Where was this? (a) Brighton; (b) Welsh Harp Reservoir; (c) Hampstead Heath
- After the above, who wrote: ‘The people who made such a fuss at __ simply detest the spectacle of bodies of any kind, beautiful or ugly.’ (a) George Elliot; (b) Agatha Christie; (c) Winston Churchill
- Written in 1931 and subtitled ‘An unplayable play’ what is the name of a play that features a modest Englishman meeting his German fiancee’s family for the first time? (a) Barely Proper; (b) Barely Decent; (c) Nude in the Dark
- Apart from Spielplatz, Bricket Wood in Hertfordshire once contained Sun-Folk Association, Five Acres and one other sun club in close proximity to one another, can you name the missing club? (a) Sun Chasers Club; (b) Moonella Club; (c) Gardenia
- A bit more up-to-date this one. What was possibly unique about the re-election of Sieglinde Ivo as INF President in July 2017? (a) all her opponents were female; (b) no one could vote against Ivo as President, only for or abstain; (c) Sieglinde Ivo came second, the actual winner declined the post immediately after the election
- Considered to be the pioneer of modern naturism, Richard Ungewitter wrote: ‘Nakedness’ explaining his philosophy of social nudity. In what year did he publish it? (a) 1905; (b) 1930; (c) 1880
Not that you’ll cheat or anything, but we’ll publish the answers on Boxing Day.